Carnaval de Barranquilla Internacional
Carnaval de Barranquilla Internacional, is a registered signature project of Alas USA Inc, a FL non profit dedicated towards the growth of Carnaval de Barranquill Internacional of Colombia abroad. Through its founding president, Lila Visbal, Alas USA has been leaders for the past 5 years placing highly the name of the Carnival of Barranquilla with great prestige and accreditation in South Florida, including Miami, Doral, Broward and West Palm Beach specially through our strategic alliances with Calle 8 in Miami for four years and the co-organization and co-production of the Miss Universe pageant parade in the city of Doral.
Our history and achievements:
- October 26, 2009 marks the beginning of Alas USA Inc. The non profit is formed and is followed by the creation of our signature project Carnaval de Barranquilla Internacional
- Under the direction and leadership of its president, Alas USA starts to plan the restructuring and revival of the Carnival of Barranquilla in Miami. Starts creating the groundwork to link the Carnaval with established events of proven social benefit and positive values. Alas is dedicated to serving the community and waving proudly the flags of the hispanic community in the US through methodical direction and sustainable work.
- In February we made our first trip overseas organized by Carnaval de Barranquilla International to live "experiencia via 40" for carnaval tourism promoting the roots, tradition, folklore and City of Barranquilla. We created the conditions for the international projection of the Carnaval, positioning it abroad as a unique travel experience, a proactive carnival tourism. 20 foreigners from India, England, Canada, France, United States (New York, Tampa, Tennessee, California) formed the group that participated and traveled to Barranquilla where they were able to learn and live from locals and leaders of the community. Through the cumbia workshops that were held prior to travel and onsite, our foreigners were trained and ready to don their costumes and join the renowned dance troupe, la Pollera Colora, through the legendary via 40 the avenue where the Carnaval de Barranquilla parade holds place.
- July: Presentation before the sitting Florida Governor, Rick Scott, at the Miami Free Zone Doral celebration of Independence of the Americas
- November: Support of the local cumbia-carnaval community friday night events
- Agreement with the Kiwanis Club of Little Havana for the organization and participation at Calle 8 Carnaval Miami. Alas USA held its first Carnaval de Barranquilla parade before the largest hispanic event in the United States, positioning it front and center through all the media exposure received. Carnaval tourism starts for this event in the opposite direction from Colombia to Miami. We invited and brought from Colombia 6 folkloric groups (cumbiambas) who integrated with existing local folkloric groups from Miami to enrich the presentation of the Grand Parade of Carnaval de Barranquilla International at Calle 8.
- Creation, organization, and coproduction of the Carnaval de Barranquilla Internacional presentation before the Liutenant Governor of Florida, representatives of local city governments, and the accredited diplomatic corps at the Miami Free Zone.
- Election and Coronation event for Carnaval de Barranquilla Intenacional first Carnaval Queen
- Start of the Grand Stage of Carnaval de Barranquilla Internacional at Calle Ocho where the musical folkloric traditions from Colombia and Latin America and the Caribbean were proudly showcased. Our audience enjoyed seven hours of performance by renowned local and international artists who came specially from Colombia.
- Grand Parade of Carnaval de Barranquilla Internacional en Miami, calle 8 with the participation of local and international dance troupes. The Carnival traditions were broadened by the inclusion of other countries through their folkloric traditions. Presentation of 25 folkloric groups, 8 of which traveled specifically from Colombia whom we were able to assist logistically.
- Participation before the official press release meeting before more than 50 accredited members of the press and the presence of Daddy Yankee as organized by Calle Ocho Club Kiwanis.
- Creation, production, and development of new viable promotion systems to grow Carnaval de Barranquilla in Miami.
- Coronation event for the selection of the Rey Momo, King of Carnaval de Barranquilla Internacional
- Invitation of the official Rey Momo from Barranquilla, Alvaro Bustillo, to preside and lead over the parade and festivities next to the chosen King and Queen of Miami.
- Coorganization and planning of Carnavalarte, a gallery art show promoting Carnaval themed painting, sculpture, and handicrafts
- Presentation of our Congos de Oro awards thanking and highlighting the individuals and groups that support our organization and make our events a success.
- Special travel of our Carnival King and Queen to Barranquilla, Colombia.
- Press release before members of the press from Latin America and the Caribbean to promote the Carnaval in the city of Doral and to promote tourism towards Barranquilla.
- Creation and development of the cumbia workshop at the gold room of Congress of the United States in Washington, D.C.
- Press conference with the support of the radio chain El Sol and the magazine Latino
- Creationa nd presentation of the project Batalla de Flores - Doral Fantasy Parade in the city of Doral before the commisioners.
- Founding and creation of Carnaval de Barranquilla USA with the purpose of creating the Batalla de Flores, as a self-funding and self-sustaining lone-standing carnaval parade with floats.
- Farewell event for the King of Carnaval de Barranquilla Internacional at Fifty in Brickell, Miami.
- Continued success at the third iteration of Carnaval de Barranquilla Internacional Grand Parade and Stage. With the participation of dozens of local groups and international invitees, the third parade and stage saw greater depth and variety. International artists graced our stage like Twister el Rey, a Colombian best-selling champeta musical act. Furthermore, our parade and stage were graced by the official Queen from Barranquilla's Carnaval, Christina Felfle, who presided over the festivities alongside our local King and Queen.
- First VIP Backstage area during our Carnaval de Barranquila Grand Stage at Calle Ocho with the presence of celebrities and local personalities in attendance with the official Queen from Barranquilla's Carnaval, Christina Felfle.
- Selection, and coronation concert event of Carnaval Miami Queen 2015, Karina Santamaria, and Youth Carnaval Queen 2015, Alexandra Rusenqui.
- Selection and naming of Children's Carnaval King and Queen, the siblings San Giocomo.
- Selection and Coronation concert event for Rey Momo 2015, Jairo Cruz
- Planing, organizing, and producing alongside the city of Doral the MISS UNIVERSE CELEBRATION OF NATIONS in the city of Doral.
- Award ceremony of of our Latin Values in the city of Doral to all of the folkloric groups from the countries of Venezuela, México, Panamá, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Perú in recognition of their support of our organization and events.
Forward from here...
The hard work we have exerted throughout the years has seen the success of our organization and of Carnaval de Barranqulila Internacional but most importantly steps have been taken in the spirit of community unity and integration to safeguard the roots of the identity of the Carnaval. To this day, we have been showcased in 52 newspapers around the world including the New Herald, Sun Sentinel, Diario Las Americas , the Sun, gracing the cover pages of some of these publications showcasing Carnival of Barranquilla. We are proud of our past work in Calle 8 for 3 years, in the Grand Parade and Stage, in the Parade of Miss Universe in 2015, but most importantly we are proud to serve the hispanic community by forging stronger links to each other through culture. We will continue building towards the future.